Vanderpoel Humanities Academy is looking for student leaders to join the school’s student council. Our
student council elections are right around the corner,so get ready to campaign! Students can begin campaigning Monday, December 16th.The student council election will be held Friday, January 11. Students in grades 2nd through 7th can campaign to become their class’s representative. Students in 8th grade can campaign to become President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Sergeant In Arms. Packets will be given out regarding the requirements to office and what each office’s responsibility are. All officers will serve their term throughout the entire school year unless they no longer meet the requirements stated below.
Vanderpoel's Class Officers and Responsibilities
- President -8th
- Vice President -8th
- Secretary -8th
- Treasurer -8th
- Sergeant In Arms -8th
- Class Representatives -7th to 2nd
All Officers shall serve a term for the entire school year.
- All elected Class Officers shall be members of the class in which they serve.
- All elected Class Officers should never have gone down to redirection.
- All elected Class Officers shall have received a GPA of 3.0 or higher on their most recent report card.
- All elected Class Officers must attend all meetings during their elected year of service.
- Any elected Class Officer who no longer complies with any one of the Class Officer eligibility rules and/or commits an act in violation of the CPS Student Code of Conduct is subject to removal from office.
- The Class President shall serve as an advocate for all students and ensure that all class projects and activities are aligned with the class officers’ overall goals. The Class President shall work closely with the Class Vice President and Principal in implementing school activities and incentives. The Class President will help with all fundraising planning and events. The Class President is responsible for attending all Student Council meetings and works closely with all other Class Officers to ensure the success of all activities.
- The Class Vice President shall serve to support the Class President. The Class Vice President shall work closely with the Class President and Principal in implementing school activities an incentives. The Class Vice President is responsible for assuming the responsibilities of Class President if they are ever absent from meetings. The Class Vice President must attend all Student Council meetings and works closely with all other Class Officers to ensure the success of all activities.
- The Class Treasurer shall serve to ensure that class finances are sound and wisely used for activities. The Class Treasurer attends class fundraisers and is present to aid the school in collecting and counting funds. The Class Treasurer schedules at least one fundraiser per month for the school to undergo. Must attend all Student Council meetings and works closely with all other Class Officers to ensure the success of all activities.
- The Class Secretary shall serve to improve the communication between Class officers and the students of the school. The Class Secretary work together with the Principal’s Assistants to ensure that all marquees and calendars are current and up to date on the school’s website. The Class Secretary works on advertising fundraisers, announcements, and flyers. The Class Secretary must take notes on Student Council meetings start and end times, along with ideas or statements that were stated throughout the meeting. The Class Secretary must attend all Student Council meetings and works closely with all other Class Officers to ensure the success of all activities.
- The Class Sergeant in Arms shall ensure that Student Council meetings are run properly and orderly. If meeting attendees are disruptive, the sergeant will alert to them to settle down. If Student Council meetings go off topic, it is also the Class Sergeant in Arms' responsibility to ensure that the meeting is run turned around, and is being run in an orderly manner. The Class Sergeant in Arms must attend all Student Council meetings and works closely with all other Class Officers to ensure the success of all activities.
- Class Representatives will inform other Class Officers about requests from their classmates. Class Representatives are tasked with checking in with classmates and keeping the Student Council informed on ideas from their class, things that their class wants, and things that are needed in their classroom. Class Representatives will assist all Class Officers with duties and responsibilities as needed.